This weekend was full of excitement and fear. Saturday I headed out to coach mu U12 soccer game around 10AM and found that I had a severe pain in my right side. I chalked it up to Thayne having his foot stuck somewhere he shouldnt, but as the game wrapped up and I drove home the pain never let up. I met Brian for lunch but after about an hour I decided I couldnt take it and we needed to head home. On the way home I decided we needed to head to the ER and error on the side of caution. I was admitted to OB triage who then admitted me to OB ER. After a few polks and an exam by the midwife on call they decided to call by OB in for a consult. My symptoms were confusing-some showed signs with appendicitis, and others pointed to kidney stones. My OB decided we needed to contact a surgeon and have an ultrasound to rule anything out. After meeting with the surgeon our options were more then confusing...since they were not 100% sure it was my appendix they couldnt be convinced removing it would relive my pain. Surgery poses a risk to the baby bc there is no way to monitor him during the procedure, and it can cause pre term labor. Not doing surgery and taking a chance that my appendix ruptures is an even greater risk since the infection would most likely cause me to miscarry. After weighing all the options we decided it was best to have my appendix taking out and take the risk of surgery.
So about 9:30 EST last night I was prepped and wheeled into the OR...30 min later I was back and down one organ. The surgery went well and was able to be done laposcopically (sp)which means they didnt need to cut in-instead I have three small holes in my stomach as entry points. Thayne was a trooper...his heart rate and blood pressure stayed normal through out the night-and became as active as possible once the anesthesia wore off. It is a true blessing that we had no complications-and for the most part we are out of the woods for pre term labor. The surgeon said that my appendix looked normal upon removal...but we are still waiting on the pathology report (which will be complete later this week...prob wed) for final results.
I sit here now posting this blog from my hospital bed where I have spent the last 36 hours recovering. I am no longer in pain, just some discomfort and soreness from the procedure. Thank you to all our family and friends who have called and stopped by to check on me, the baby, and Brian...we really appreciate it. I should be dismissed tomorrow and will spend the rest of the week healing. I am very thankful that God watched over me and my son during this time...and will forever count my blessings. The silver lining I guess is that I will have a really cool story to tell Thayne when he is older!!!
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
Wow. That is really scary. I'm glad you are doing ok, and that Thayne is ok as well. Feel better soon.
YIKES! So scary for you! We were worried about you! I hate that you are so far away! If you were here I would bring you soup and magazines to pass the "rest" time. Happy yo see you are better and am curious to see what the path labs say...LMK! Love you!
Glad to hear all went well. How scary it must have been for both of you. Hopefully all will continue to go well.
Love, Aunt Janet
Oh my heck that is crazy! I am so glad you are ok and the baby did great. You definitely were being watched over. How stressful. I hope the pain stops and that was the problem. Keep updates on the blog coming so I can see how you are doing! I will keep you guys in our prayers.
love ya
linds
Post a Comment